Home  > Forum

GLENCOE: Week 5, Michaelmas 2012

Ask questions or write reports about upcoming and past trips and socials.

Moderators: Exec, Superuser

GLENCOE: Week 5, Michaelmas 2012

Postby LUHC Exec » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am

Please discuss the Glencoe trip here!
LUHC Exec
Site Admin

Re: GLENCOE: Week 5, Michaelmas 2012

Postby LUHC Exec » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 am

Only a few places left on the trip now, so come along to foyer today to sign up so you don't miss out!
LUHC Exec
Site Admin

Postby Sarah Roberts » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

I can't wait for Glencoe! I am excited I actually get to go this year. :D

Does anyone have ideas of what walks they want to do?
Sarah Roberts
Snowboarder

Postby Sam Harrison » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:10 am

Not really sure on walks yet, depends on the snow... Fancy the Aonach Eagach but not so sure I'd want to do it in winter conditions before doing it in the summer first. Other than that, never been onto Buachaille Etive Mor and so I fancy that. On the Sunday I was thinking of the Ballachulish Horseshoe, after failing to do it on the Sunday of last year. Jim was talking about Bidean via the Bienn Fhada ridge but I don't know how serious he was about it, and I think Dick was talking about one of the Buchaille Etive Mor summits, possibly as a tactical Sunday bag. Mark mentioned he might do a walk up the Pap on Saturday.
Sam Harrison
Festerer

Postby Matt_Y » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:42 am

Wouldn't mind bagging the far summit on buchaile etive mor (how do you spell it?), but really depends on conditions
Matt_Y
Bimbler

Postby Jenni » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Mark and I are hopefully (hang overs permitting) going to do the Pap on Saturday and are happy to take people with us.

I really want to go to the Lost Valley on Sunday but I don't think I'll have the time. Hopefully there will be snow to play in regardless.
Jenni
Snowboarder

Postby Sam Harrison » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Jenni wrote:Mark and I are hopefully (hang overs permitting) going to do the Pap on Saturday and are happy to take people with us.

I really want to go to the Lost Valley on Sunday but I don't think I'll have the time. Hopefully there will be snow to play in regardless.

Sounds good Jenni - fingers crossed for some good snow!
Sam Harrison
Festerer

Postby Jim Heath » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 am

Given the current forecast (windy, showers, snow high up but probably wet and 'orrible low down) my favoured option for Saturday at the moment is the NE Ridge of Binnein Mor at the Eastern end of the Mamores. It's high, a bit further inland, so should maximise snow/minimise rain (you can park at 200m+). It's also a great location and a good scramble. Followed by really good ridge walking for as long as people want to carry on (though I do not intend to do the whole Mamore range!). Another reason to do it is last time we had to abort following a gliding incident...

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/c.php?i=185550

"As good as classic grade 1s such as the Forcan Ridge and Tryfan's north ridge, in a spectacular location"

- not quite sure about that in terms of the actual scrambling, but the location/atmosphere makes it so...
Jim Heath
Bimbler

Postby Sam Harrison » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:57 am

Jim Heath wrote:Given the current forecast (windy, showers, snow high up but probably wet and 'orrible low down) my favoured option for Saturday at the moment is the NE Ridge of Binnein Mor at the Eastern end of the Mamores. It's high, a bit further inland, so should maximise snow/minimise rain (you can park at 200m+). It's also a great location and a good scramble. Followed by really good ridge walking for as long as people want to carry on (though I do not intend to do the whole Mamore range!). Another reason to do it is last time we had to abort following a gliding incident...

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/c.php?i=185550

"As good as classic grade 1s such as the Forcan Ridge and Tryfan's north ridge, in a spectacular location"

- not quite sure about that in terms of the actual scrambling, but the location/atmosphere makes it so...

Ah you've sold that to me, sounds really good.
Sam Harrison
Festerer

Postby Matt_Y » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 am

What a weekend! Thanks to everyone that came, drivers, leaders and generally everyone for such a great time :)
Matt_Y
Bimbler

Postby Jim Heath » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Great weekend…Some highlights:

Started Friday with getting “scrubbered” by Alex and Sarah, while taking the weather observations at Hazelrigg.

Will: “I thought it was called the ‘Dead’ Squirrel?”

Club tents that were half mark 4 and half mark 5.

“Winking in the sauna”.

Andy………

A lecture from Hugh McColl on such diverse matters as plumbing, trends in the annual rainfall total of Glencoe (1950 to present), the dredging of the Severn around Tewkesbury, and the rivers of East Anglia.

After 800m of bog and rain, being rewarded with some fantastic snowy ridges in the Mamores. Even got some glimpses of pastel-blue sky and wintery sunshine on the summit of Binnein Mor, when we seemed to almost be poking through the clouds. Very atmospheric.

0-60mph in a Marshalls minibus on the very twisty road out of Kinlochleven.

Multiple drive-by of Hugh McColl’s cabin with dodgy music blasting out of the window.

Brilliant Saturday night in the Clachaig.

Sunday – a bit of scrambling up the snowy NE ridge of Stob Coire nan Lochan, followed by a very satisfying bumslide down Broad Gully!
Jim Heath
Bimbler

Postby Sam Harrison » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Ah I'd forgotten about winking in the sauna...

Saturday was good fun and I enjoyed being back out in Scottish winter. Particularly enjoyed the soft powdery snow on some great ridges.

It was a great night in the Clachaig and we all had a good sing-along to Loch Lomond and Wild Rover.

Had a pleasant walk up to Steall Hut on Sunday, and the wire bridge there always provides some amusement!

All-in-all, another brilliant Glencoe! :D
Sam Harrison
Festerer

Return to Trips and Socials